Monday, February 6, 2012

My Favourite Places to Eat in Sydney

It takes trial and error to find the best places to eat in Sydney. I've been recommended places by friends but then walked away after the meal thinking it's not that good.  What are they raving on about? When you do find the best places that appeal to your taste buds you tend to stick to them. After a while you get to know the people who work there by name and build up rapport. I love going into my favourite cafe, being warmly greeted and asked "the usual?" when I walk through the door. I smile and reply "yes". I don't even need to order.

I'm a mocha drinker and although good coffee is in abundance in Sydney, it's not always easy to find a good mocha. My favourite brand of coffee is undoubtedly Vittoria, it's rich and full flavoured and if made by a good barrista, simply heavenly. The best mocha I've ever had in my life was when I attended the Welcome Wall ceremony at Darling Harbour. One of the owners of Vittoria was there giving away free samples and supporting immigrants who came to Australia. I couldn't believe how good that coffee was, it was perfect. My family were there at the time too and they all agreed. We've been hard pressed to find a coffee better than the one we had that day.



The Lindt Cafe also makes excellent mochas as well as offering many other delicious treats. The Lindt Cafe has three Sydney locations - Darling Harbour, George Street and Martin Place.




There are a few good French patisseries in Sydney but my favourite and the best, I believe, is La Renaissance at The Rocks.   Their croissants are delicious and buttery and I can never eat just one! Their coffee is okay but you don't go there for the coffee, you go for the food.


I've only started eating laksa's during the past few years and the best by a country mile is Jimmy's Recipe in Galleries Victoria, George Street, Sydney. They're great!  If you are visiting Sydney you simply must go there at least once.  We have had several visitors over the years from other countries, including Asian ones, and they all agree that the quality of Jimmy's food is outstanding.